Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I attended a Ball at Playa Bonita Resort & Spa. It was lovely. Everyone was dressed to the nines and I was able to wear a very special dress. (Click for details).

Playa Bonita is located not far from Panama City overlooking the Pacific entrance of the Panama Canal close to Fort Kobbe (Howard Air Force Base). Playa Bonita boasts of beautiful sunsets and private beaches. They also have a very nice arrangement of pools. I found the staff and security to be pleasant and welcoming and saw many tourists checking in/out when I arrived. They all appeared to have cheerful dispositions but this could be either due to their stay or to the sight of our crowd donned in gowns and tuxes. They offered a special deal of $150 (+tax) for 2 adults including breakfast.



Sources tell me this resort is located in what was known as “one of the most dangerous areas of Panama.” Apparently when the air force base was active this kept criminal activity at bay but this base was closed November 1999 when it was turned over to the Panamanian authorities. The night of the ball, a separate source had an unwelcomed visitor at 2:00 a.m. enter their room while they were still inside. I don’t have any more details then that. Honestly, it could’ve been just another intoxicated guest somehow entering the wrong room.




View Larger Map

This resort is also where Palo Seco (“Dry Sick”) Leper Colony was located until 1972. I didn’t see that in any of their brochures but this was more of a spa-like leper colony where lepers were coming out of the wood works trying to become residents due to this facilities services. It was established by the Americans but Panama paid 75 cents a day per patient to the U.S. for provided housing, food, and care. Dr. William Gorgas (1915) stated “We established a colony on a beautifully located peninsula running out into the bay… they could have gardens, chickens, fruit-trees…the location is naturally one of the prettiest on the bay.” (source)



Regardless of history, on the surface this was a beautiful resort. Stay if you find a good deal for the night; check it out for yourself. Enjoy the pools and the beaches but DON’T go in the water. Most tourists are unaware of the water’s sewage like qualities but the locals know better and venture further away from the city to enjoy cleaner beaches. Don’t worry there is an ongoing Bay Sanitation Project funded through a loan from Japan to address the untreated sewage of 330,000 cubic meters/day that flows into the rivers depositing into the Panama Bay. (source)

12 comments:

Ivo Serentha and Friends said...

My compliments for your blog and pictures included,I encourage you to photoblog,

http://photosphera01.spaces.live.com

Even week another photo album

Greetings from Italy,

Marlow

TheWordWire said...

What a beautiful place -- such a shame about the water quality. Hopefully the treatment project will restore it for the people who live there. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

cool place!!

Anonymous said...

I used to go there all of the time when I was stationed at Ft. Kobbe (about a mile up the road. Your info on the leper colony is wrong though, it was further to the south. Where Playa Bonita is located used to be a public beach with a huge shark cage to protect swimmers, it used to be a nice place to swim. The tides there go way out leaving tidal pools with creatures from the sea trapped in them.

Anonymous said...

These are truly enormous ideas
in concerning blogging.
You have touched some good things
here. Any way keep up wrinting.

Feel free to surf to my webpage - horse stall mats for home gym

Anonymous said...

I could not refrain from commenting. Exceptionally well written!



Feel free to visit my blog :: CrossFit rubber mats

Anonymous said...

I have been browsing on-line more than 3 hours lately, but I never found any interesting article like yours.
It is beautiful price sufficient for
me. Personally,
if all website owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you probably did, the net
will probably be much
more helpful than ever before.

Feel free to surf to my site Donate your car

Anonymous said...

Way cool! Some very valid points! I
appreciate you penning this write-up and the
rest of the site is also really good.

Feel free to visit my web page ... Va Divorce Lawyer

Anonymous said...

I will immediately grab
your rss as I can't in finding your email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you've any?

Kindly let me recognise in order that I could subscribe.

Thanks.

my web blog ... Bristol ct real Estate

Anonymous said...

Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular article!
It is the little changes that will make the most significant changes.

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Feel free to visit my weblog: madison ct realty

Anonymous said...

I visited various blogs however the audio feature for audio songs current at
this web site is genuinely superb.

Feel free to visit my weblog - Sos mi vida

Anonymous said...

Hi would you mind letting
me know which web host you're utilizing? I've
loaded your blog in 3 completely different web browsers and
I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.

Can you recommend a good web hosting provider at a reasonable
price? Thanks, I
appreciate it!

Stop by my blog post; low interest rate balance transfer - -

Post a Comment